WHAT IS THATISO 22005 implements the Italian standards UNI 10939:01 relating to the "Traceability system in the agri-food supply chains " and UNI 11020:02 relating to the "traceability system in agri-food companies " and applies to the entire agri-food sector , including feed production.
This standard is the international reference document for the certification of agro-food traceability systems .
The implementation of traceability systems in companies and in the agri-food chains is an indispensable tool for:
- respond to mandatory obligations ,
- enhance particular product characteristics , such as the origin/territoriality and the peculiar characteristics of the ingredients,
- satisfy customer expectations (understood both as large-scale retail trade and as final consumer).
In fact, if a non-compliance of a hygienic-sanitary type occurs, it allows on the one hand to go back to the point in the supply chain where the problem originated, on the other to proceed, if necessary, with the "targeted" withdrawal of the product.
KEY POINTSThe design of a traceability system must necessarily define the following aspects:
- objectives of the traceability system
- regulations and documents applicable to the traceability system
- traceable products and ingredients
- position of each organization in the food chain, identification of suppliers and customers
- material flows
- the information that needs to be managed
- supply chain management methods
- support the system that the company has implemented to ensure compliance with product quality and hygiene requirements
- respond to explicit consumer requests
- define the history and origin of the product
- facilitate any withdrawals or recalls of marketed products
- identify the responsibilities of each operator in the supply chain
- facilitate the control of specific information concerning the agri-food product
- communicate specific information to major stakeholders as well as consumers
- fulfill any obligations imposed by local, national or international legislation
- increase the performance , productivity and profits of the organization